Tuesday 28 October 2008

Happy Diwali internationally.





















As promised, here is the photo of my completed knit project. I know I am gloating about this, but it gives me a similar joy as if I have learnt my first steps in walking!

Celebrating Diwali in a foreign land always needs a bit of more effort than usual. it is like studying for exams when everybody is studying is lot easier than studying when you are on your own.and to create an atmosphere of festive when people around you do not really understand it ,is the hardest.

But , i have to admit my colleagues, neighbors and friends have been really sweet. I share a very international neighborhood - Jamaicans, Portugal, Mauritius, , sierra Leone, Italian and German to say the least.. And they have been so brilliant about my efforts at making diwali a festival for my daughter that it is amazing.

They have offered to help me out with the faral cooking ( and eating). They have come to wish us Happy Diwali, did a bit of reading about it and bring in some sweets from their place as well. And though it is not as perfect or festive as back home, i think it is the best i can get in the current place.

And to be very honest, learning about festivals and special days of different cultures is amazing > My Jamaican neighbor is a great friend and her daughter and M share the first friends bond!. Talking about the two cultures, it is amazing to find out about the similarities in beliefs, values, rituals and morals. I am guessing if I were to stay in Jamaica ever, i would not have any hard time settling in. Sounds just like India!Mauritiuns love to celebrate Diwali with the same pomp as Bombayites.

Diwali has already come.. that means the end of the year is close by . Very soon the Christmas cheer will set in, and it will draw all followers , non followers in its merry.

Till the next post.. tata.
Arati

No comments: